Life can be a little unpredictable but I try to have a morning routine that sets the tone for a great day. This morning was my favorite kind of morning, the one I seek to have each morning.
- My dog wakes me up. I generally wake up to my dog, Bear, licking my face and wagging his tail. He is the definition of a morning “person,” he wakes up each day extremely excited to be alive. In that way, I wish I was more like my dog 😂
- Morning water and walk. I chug a glass of water and head out the door with Bear. There are a lot of dogs in our neighborhood so Bear had a blast sprinting from one doggie smell to the next. The 10 minute walk helps me wake up completely and I’m usually much less of a zombie by the time we get back home.
- Stretching. This is a recent addition to my morning routine. It seems like my body got old all at once. I touch my toes, do some downward dog, cat/cow poses, and maybe a couple push-ups if I’m feeling extra motivated 😉
- Coffee and collagen. Coffee is a must for me. I’ve tried several times to give it up (because I don’t like the idea of having such a vice) but it is a constant for me that I don’t see going away anytime soon. I’ve recently started adding collagen to my coffee, it’s supposed to help you have beautiful hair, skin, and repair your body faster after workouts. It’s tasteless and I got it during Amazon Prime Day so why not give it a try!
- Breakfast on the back porch. I switch up my breakfast everyday but there seems to be one constant, a scoop of peanut butter. It’s like dessert to me 😍 one of my favorites is 1/4 cup of gluten free instant oatmeal, 1 small banana, 1 scoop of honey peanut butter, with cinnamon sprinkled on top (I sprinkled cinnamon in my coffee too!) My Dad gave Ross and I an AMAZING wedding gift – this restored Charleston bench from my Great Grandmother’s garden. Dad essentially rebuilt the bench from just the remaining, rusted out wrought iron on the sides. It’s beautiful and I enjoy my breakfast here as much as possible.
- Prayer and the news. The morning time provides extreme clarity for me, it’s a time to remember what’s important in life and what you want to focus on. It is the perfect time for me to talk to God about everything. And then I turn on the news, always the Today show on NBC. Watching the news will typically elicit additional prayers…the news is often hard to watch and I completely believe in the saying that “ignorance is bliss” BUT I refuse to be ignorant. I like to hear the headlines from the news channel and then anything that really sparks my interest, I’ll research further to form my opinion.
Sometimes, depending on when I woke up and if I’m working from home that day, my morning routine will last an hour. And sometimes I have to condense it to about 20 minutes. Either way, it sets me up for a good day – I’ve had time to get my mind, body, and spirit in the right place before whatever the day may bring.
What does your morning routine look like?